Wednesday, April 1, 2009

What a fool for April Fool's(Day)

Definitely not a lot of fooling around this time, but giving a go on UTAR's Spelling Competition really fooled me real good. Starting off the day with a hearty breakfast at Starbucks for only RM6.85. The minced chicken sandwich with Chilli Bread tastes really nice. With that cup of rich aroma black arabica coffee, who could resist such a temptation? By the way check out the photos below.
Cow Drink!!!


After Webpage tutorial and lecture classes, we did some calculations and estimation on the choice of living in Kampar. Apparently we found out renting out a double storey house in Eastlake without furnishing is the best choice. (Do not ask why, this is highly classified by our sources) Deciding not to eat lunch, I straight away went for the competition. Quite a good turnout as the lecture hall is almost fully filled. Starting I am quite nervous, not because of the expectancy of the difficulty but the surrounding environment, it is just like having finals. First word of the competition was "ambience". I can see almost half of the contestants walked off the hall. 'Wonderful' isn't it? After several random words like 'anonymous', 'committee' bla bla bla, there were only 9 of us left. The moment of truth!!

Proceeding to level 2, each of us was called out to spell out the word in front. I got my first word as 'camouflage'. No sweat as I recognise the words by visual stimulation. HAHAHA! round 2 there was only 3 finalist. I got 'psoriasis' but I spelt it 'soriasis'. Knew thats gonna happen!! The biggest mistake done by the judges is.. When the 'champion' came to the front, she was supposed to spell 'ventriloquist' but she spelt 'ventriloqist'. One of the judges mistakenly spelt out Q-U-I-S-T for god-knows-what reason. After a moment of hesitation, the judge asked her to spell again. Based on this situation, of course the girl go spell the correct one! Bullshit no.1!! When she got the chance to spell out the championship word, she got 'psychosomatic'! Championship word konon!!! I bet even a standard 6 could spell that word out!! Sheer luck!!! Ahhh!! Bullshit no.2!!! After the champion was decided, we got another bonus free round again to decide the runner up. Guess what? I cannot spell 'Silhouette'.... major dissapointment... guess my command of English is still poor... The runner up was lucky enough to got his word right... This one I got nothing to comment about. Haih......I feel better after much ranting!!! Hehe....

Anyway it was a good experience. It was still considered to be an effortless achievement. Imagining the people memorizing dictionaries just for this competition. I wouldn't doubt the possibilities... Congratulations to the winners =) A big thank you to the lecturers who came up with this competition too. It was fun though...

Two novels, 10 bucks McD voucher and a participation certificate for the consolation prizes. Not bad... only 2 more novels and 50 bucks MPH voucher difference from the champ and runner up only what.. HAHA!!

No comments: